Do you want to make a difference for the women in our global community?
The ideal way to do that is to serve on Hip Circle's Board of Directors!
Board Members support the work of Hip Circle Empowerment Center and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Hip Circle’s executive director Malik Turley, the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as she implements Hip Circle’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Hip Circle for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Approving Hip Circle’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Serving on committees and taking on special assignments
- Representing Hip Circle to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Hip Circle’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Hip Circle serves
Serving on our board is a wonderful way to support women AND a powerful way to build your own skills and expertise.
Is board service right for you?
Here are three questions to consider:
- How much time are you willing to put into board work?
Our Board Members attend one board meeting per month, review financial statements and meeting materials, and prepare for and attend committee meetings. It is expected that each HCEC Board Members will spend at least 10-15 hours a month in monthly meetings and projects for their designated committee(s).
- Are you willing to collaborate with others?
Our Board is a team of committed and engaged individuals who work together to govern Hip Circle. Hip Circle’s Board Members serve a one-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for up to two additional terms (1-3-2). Board and committee meetings are virtually held once a month.
- Do you have the ability to assist Hip Circle with fundraising?
One of the primary responsibilities of our board is to ensure that Hip Circle has adequate financial resources to carry out our mission. We know Board Members bring more to offer than their checkbook. We also know that funders often require 100% board giving for us to be considered for grants and donations. In order to demonstrate fiscal investment by every board member, we expect every Board Member to make a meaningful personal financial contribution each year and expect HCEC to be in their “top 3” for charitable contributions.